You are here:

Nuisance Abatement

Assistant Director Deon Stewart


Making the Parish More Livable

What IS a code violation?

The division enforces code violations on private property only. Below are some examples of the types of problems we can handle:

  • tall grass, weeds
  • trash, debris
  • vehicles - junk, inoperable, abandoned
  • unoccupied dangerous buildings/structures
  • abandoned/sunken vessels in parish waterways
  • signs on public or state R-O-W/property

What IS NOT a code violation?

Your valuable tax dollars are at work, and we want to expend our resources appropriately and efficiently. There are some neighborhood problems that do not fall under our jurisdiction.

  • In general, we can act on behalf of the public at large - we cannot take action on behalf of one citizen against another. In other words, we cannot handle neighbor disputes or civil problems that do not violate public law.

  • Also, we cannot handle complaints that a condition is ugly or unattractive.

    1. Examples: Ugly, unattractive cars, trucks, RV's or boats do not constitute a code violation unless they are inoperable. Vehicles or boats parked on a driveway, unless inoperable, would not be a code violation.

    2. Often a neighbor's tree or other plantings may drop leaves or debris in your yard, or may cause damage to a fence or other structure. Irrigation water may also run from one property to another.

  • These conditions are private matters between the two property owners and the Nuisance Abatement Division has no jurisdiction.

Additional Assistance

Here are some examples of the types of problems that the Nuisance Abatement Division does not handle and some additional information to guide you.

  • Excessive Noises and Littering - Contact law enforcement Terrebonne Parish Sheriff's Office (TPSO) @ (985) 876-2500 or Houma Police Department (HPD) @ (985) 868-5500.

  • Animal Concerns - Contact the TPCG Animal Control Division @ (985) 873-6709.

  • Roadside garbage/debris - Contact the TPCG Solid Waste Division @ (985) 873-6739.

  • Tall grass on roadside/right-of-way - Contact the TPCG Vegetation Division @ (985) 873-6736.

  • Trees in electrical lines - Contact the appropriate utility company.

  • Occupied structure complaints - Contact the TPCG Building Permit Division @ (985) 580-8199 or Board of Health @ (985) 857-3770.

  • Drainage Issues - Contact the TPCG Drainage Division @ (985) 873-6717.

  • Environmental Concerns - Contact the TPCG Office of Emergency Preparedness @ (985) 873-6357.


Hours of Operation

  • Monday thru Friday
  • 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Physical Address

  • 7836 Park Avenue
  • Houma, LA 70361

Mailing Address

  • P. O. Box 2768
  • Houma, LA 70361
Return To Top