Recovery Assistance & Mitigation Planning

Recovery Planner Jennifer Gerbasi


Severe Repetitive Loss Program

Congress has approved special funding for the flood mitigation of certain properties, chosen by FEMA, whose owners have flood insurance. The Parish has mailed notices to those people on the Severe Repetitive Loss list created by FEMA. The houses can be elevated or demolished and reconstructed.  Reconstruction is capped at $150,000 construction costs plus engineering and permits.

Call 985-873-6565 with questions or to make an appointment to fill out a funding request.


Property must meet the criteria for Severe Repetitive Loss:

  1. at least four National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) claim payments (including building and contents) over $5,000 each, and the cumulative amount of such claim payments exceeds $20,000, or
  2. at least two separate claim payments (building payments only) have been made, and the cumulative amount of the building portion of such claim payments exceeds the market value of the building

For both (a) and (b) above, at least two of the referenced claims must have occurred within any 10-year period and must be greater than 10 days apart. The loss history includes all ownership of the property since 1978 or since the building's construction if built after 1978, and,

  • be on the FEMA list of approved properties
  • be insured by an NFIP policy

Cost Share

100% of eligible expenses paid by the program (UP TO $150,000 for Mitigation Reconstruction).

Note: All Road Home and ICC payments must be signed over to the Parish prior to beginning the mitigation project.

House Elevation or Reconstruction

The following documents will be needed to fill out the application to see if you might be funded by the grant. The estimate should be free. The Elevation Certificate is provided by a licensed surveyor at your cost. This will not be reimbursed whether the project is funded or not.

  • elevation certificate
  • contractor estimates - itemized
  • engineered elevation plans included in estimate from contractor
  • insurance information/ policy and losses
  • road home or ICC funding awards
  • photographs of house and property (digital photos best, all four sides of the structure)

You can call for an appointment before you have all of these documents, but it sometimes takes a while to get contractors and surveyors to the house. There are other contractors, but they have not provided the parish with copies of their required state registrations or licenses at this time. Only contractors with proper registration or licensing can be hired to participate in the program.

Severe Repetitive Loss Buyout Program

The Division has been authorized to offer buyouts for properties outside the Morganza to the Gulf footprint.

Return To Top