Printer Friendly Version: FloodSafe


Register for SAM and MWOB for Business Opportunities

Monday August 03, 2020 10:40 am

Terrebonne Parish

Department of Planning and Zoning

Recovery Assistance and Mitigation Planning


FloodSafe Minute

Register for SAM and MWOB for Business Opportunities

August 3, 2020

When spending Federal grant money, the Parish must procure professional services through companies that are registered with the System for Award Management (SAM). This is an online database that can be accessed through this link  Please encourage any businesses to get registered here if they would like to be considered for grant work in the Parish.

Terrebonne Parish is focused on reducing our risks to flood and wind from natural disasters and supporting economic stability.  Much of the funding that the Parish receives is Federal funding managed by State agencies.  As such, the Parish follows State and Federal laws when purchasing goods and services.   Services that will be procured this year include, but are not limited to:

  • Surveying
  • Real Estate Appraisals
  • Legal Services for Real Estate Closings
  • Title Search
  • Environmental Review Services
  • Asbestos and Lead Testing
  • Demolition Services
  • Asbestos Abatement
  • Lawn Maintenance

To be ready for the procurement, companies must be on the SAM registry, and in good standing.  The Department of Housing and Urban Development is focusing here this year.

Disadvantaged Businesses

The Federal regulations also require grantees and subgrantees (the Parish) to encourage and promote the participation of Minority and Women Owned Businesses (MWOB), or Section 3 businesses and individuals.  To register as  a Disadvantaged Business Enterprise, the business would go to  The Department of Transportation and Development has the best list for Louisiana for finding MWOB.

To register as a  Section 3 business, which is based on income, visit

What is a Section 3 business concern? A business that:

 • Is 51 percent or more owned by Section 3 residents;

• Employs Section 3 residents for at least 30 percent of its full-time, permanent staff; or

• Provides evidence of a commitment to subcontract to Section 3 business concerns, 25 percent or more of the dollar amount of the awarded contract.

Who are Section 3 residents? Section 3 residents are:

• Public housing residents or

• Persons who live in the area where a HUD-assisted project is located and who have a household income that falls below HUD’s income limits. Determining Income Levels

• Low income is defined as 80% or below the median income of that area.

• Very low income is defined as 50% or below the median income of that area.

What programs are covered? Section 3 applies to HUD-funded Public including projects that complete housing rehabilitation, housing construction, and other public construction.  The Parish is encouraged to seek Section 3 and MWOB businesses for all contracting.