Recovery Assistance & Mitigation Planning

Recovery Planner Jennifer Gerbasi


How do you file a flood insurance claim?

Thursday August 27, 2020 11:47 am

Terrebonne Parish

Department of Planning and Zoning

Recovery Assistance and Mitigation Planning

FloodSafe Minute

Hurricane Laura did not land in Terrebonne Parish, but in case some structures were flooded, this is a reminder of how to make a flood claim.  Homeowner’s Insurance does not cover flooding.  Owners of flooded structures covered by flood insurance should make a claim as soon as possible.  Claims pay for the repair of the structure to preserve the value and safety of the home, and may enable the owner to get an elevation grant to prevent future flooding.

The National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP)is offering elevation and reconstruction grants this fall. The grant is available to repetitive loss properties, which is defined as a property that the NFIP has paid flood claims to repair.  A Severe Repetitive Loss property has flooded 4 times for claims of $5,000 or more, or has been damaged and flood claims paid over 100% of the value of the structure.  This grant pays for 100% of an elevation.  A property with two flood claims equaling 50% of the value of the structure or more may be eligible for a 90% grant.  Applications will be accepted after September 30th, 2020.  Interested owners can call the Planning Department Recovery  Division at 873-6565 to get more information.  Flood policies in the special flood hazard area do not increase due to additional claims unless the property becomes an SRL property. However, most would agree that access to a 100% grant makes up for the temporary increase in the cost of insurance.  Make a claim.  People should use the insurance that they are paying for.

How do you file a flood insurance claim?

The process consists of five steps.

1. Contact your insurer as soon as possible. All flood insurance policies require you to give timely written notice of loss. Have your policy number and a phone number and/or e-mail address where you can be reached.

2. Separate your damaged and undamaged property. Don't dispose of anything before an adjuster has seen it, unless required by law. If you have to get rid of anything (for instance, mold-infested carpet), take pictures and keep samples of the damaged goods (a small piece of the carpet).

You need to do whatever you can to prevent further damage and protect undamaged property, but you'll want to consult with your flood adjuster or flood insurer before hiring anyone to do repairs.

3. Compile a list of damaged personal property. It's smart to create a list before flooding, so all you have to do is check off the items that are damaged. The list should have an item description, cost, model and serial number (when applicable), and estimated dollar loss. Include any receipts, photos, and warranties you have.

4. Detail structural damages. Note structural loss/damage to point out to the insurance adjuster. Your adjuster will usually contact you within 24-48 hours after being notified of your loss. Then, he or she will come view your property. You may ask the adjuster for an advance or partial payment. If you have a mortgage, your mortgage company will need to sign the Building Property advance check.

5. Complete a Proof of Loss statement containing the information required by your flood insurance policy within 60 days after the loss. The Proof of Loss includes a detailed estimate to replace or repair the damaged structure and contents. In most cases, the adjuster can provide you with a suggested Proof of Loss.

Your claim is payable after you and the insurer agree on the amount of damages, and the insurer receives your complete, accurate and signed Proof of Loss in support of your claim.

Return To Top